Formule ETS is a student engineering team from École de technologie supérieure, in Montréal. The team has been designing, manufacturing and racing Formula SAE race cars for more than 25 years with one common goal since then :
The cars that come out of the ETS' workshop reflect our design philosophy. Therefore, we are in an endless pursuit of designing the lightest car year after year.
The latest car weighs 293 pounds and features a redesigned custom 450cc engine. The APEX sits on four 10-inch Avon tires mounted on custom double moulded carbon fibre wheels. The decoupled suspension setup now integrates the anti-roll system on the custom through-rod damper which considerably reduces the weight of the entire suspension system. The front dynamic package has been relocated underneath the car by using pull rods in order to lower the height of the center of gravity of the vehicle.
An innovative upright and spindle system led to a complete brake system redesign. The car is now equipped with two custom 7075-T7351 aluminium front calipers machined on a 5-axis CNC milling machine and a single AP Racing dual piston brake caliper mounted on the differential support at the back.
The chassis has been designed around the most important piece of equipment, the driver. This results in superior ergonomics and increases the driver's confidence. To further complement the ease of driving, a fully adjustable locking dovetail mechanism for the pedal box ensures a comfortable driving position for any driver no matter their size.
A new construction method significantly decreased the weight of the aerodynamic package while still featuring a double-action DRS hidden in the second element of the rear wing.
- Single piece carbon fibre monocoque manufactured in a single week.
- Carbon fibre layers simulated and generated with Fibersim.
- Integrated front hoop.
- In-house designed and manufactured second generation custom engine block.
- Custom single piece carbon fibre fuel tank and intake system.
- Focused on ease of maintenance, allowing an engine removal in less than 20 minutes.
- Custom springs mounted on the decoupled roll dampers.
- Dual piston inverted custom front calipers.
- Front pull rods and rear push rods system.
- ETS Designed:
- Power Management Unit ("PMU")
- Improved and revised A2C modules ("Analog to CAN bus")
- Complete strain gauges and amplifier package
- Real time wireless telemetry.
- Full CAD of harness and components .
- Welded titanium driveshafts with 5-axis machined tripod inserts.
- Inboard caliper mounted on the differential support.
- Reversed upright and spindle system with spokeless carbon fibre wheels.
- Ultralightweight construction.
- Optimized cooling system with electric water-pump.
- Double-action DRS.